3.1.13

Top Ten Thursdays: Best Film Discoveries of 2012

Oh it has been a long time coming, I cannot recall the last time I actually compiled a top ten list and here I find myself attempting to throw one together in the last hours of the day.  I figured that since I did a similar list last year and plan to hold off for a few more weeks before discussing my favorite films of 2012, it would be an opportune time to discuss some of the works for years earlier that proved to be revelations to me and worth repeating.  As was the case last time, they must be things that I had not seen prior to this year and nothing that came out this year, although I cannot think of something that would break this list, although I have seen some stellar cinematic offerings.  Hopefully the key to this will be brevity, because I have at some point written blogs about all the films I have chosen and will post links to them with each.  Looking back makes me realize that I watch a whole heap of films last year, many of which were indeed quite good, although a good few of them were downright terrible, needless to say, it is not an easy list to compile and only drives me to see more great films as this year winds onward. Viva la cinema...or something like that.

10. An American Werewolf In London (1981)

Leave it to a rather raunchy and satirical horror comedy to break into the top ten, but I cannot get this movie out of my head, something is just too damn perfect about it, not to mention it having the greatest closing song in film history.

Review Here




9. The Straight Story (1999)

I will blame this on having just finished season one of Twin Peaks, yet The Straight Story was not the only first time with a Lynch film viewing this year, it just proved to be something far grander than I could have possibly imagined.

Review Here






8. Stardust Memories (1980)

I have found my definitive Allen film, although I look forward to digging through more of his back catalogue this year, I can only hope I turn on a few more people to the genius of his hidden gem.

Review Here






7. Harold and Maude (1971)

This viewing had been a long time coming and boy did it live up to the hype.  A deserved cult classic, Harold and Maude exudes magic and clearly serves as a stepping stone for Anderson and others, not to mention a single artist soundtrack on par with The Graduate.

Review Here





6. Pather Panchali (1995)

I broke down and bought a less than stellar bootleg of this film because it gets referenced and praised so damn often, despite being clearly ripped from a VHS recording, the cinematic zeal of Ray pops of the screen, here's to this finally being the year Criterion gets it out on bluray.

Review Here






5. Lonesome (1928)

Safety Last was so close to making the list, but I had to give way to the film that has allowed me to completely reconsider the art of silent film, even if this is "technically" an early talkie.  Not to mention I cannot get the words to "Always" out of my head.

Review Here








4. Close-Up (1990)

No film better captures the vision of my blog than this revelation by Kiarostami, I can only hope to obtain a copy for my personal collection sometime this year.

Review Here





3. The Poughkeepsie Tapes (2007)

I am convinced that I am chairing a single person committee to save this film from obscurity, but, seriously, just writing about this dark horror film gives me chills.

Review Here







2. Take Shelter (2011)


Easily my biggest oversight on my best films of 2011, this film beats out everything else that came out in 2011 and could stand to become one of my favorite films of all time.


Review Here





1. Secret Sunshine (2007)

This is the year that I found my focus and plan for academic study, all centering on South Korean cinema, fortunately, Secret Sunshine and a transcendent performance by Jeon Do-yeon came along to not only reaffirm my decision, but my faith in film as a whole.  If it were not for Do The Right Thing and Cool Hand Luke, this would easily be my favorite film ever released.

Review Here




Honorable Mention

Safety Last (1923)
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)
Zazie Dans Le Metro (1960)
Woman In The Dunes (1964)
Earth Girls Are Easy (1988)
Away We Go (2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment